.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Santanu's Blog Page

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

No Smoking!

Ever heard of Emphysema? Maybe you have. Strangely, I hadn't. At least not until I read the Pagan Chick blog today.

I have smoked for 20 years at a stretch. Close to 2 packs a day.

I knew all along that smoking caused cancer. Lung cancer. Mouth Cancer. Trachea. Respiratory Track. And if you get it, and detect early, you have to cut off the malignant part and be OK again. Happened to my grand father way back in the seventies. He survived, minus two third lung, right side. He was a smoker.

If you get it and do not detect early, you go for radiotherapy or chemotherapy. You loose all your hair, you loose all your weight, you loose all your savings. And then, finally, you loose your life! I know. It happened to my father. 1981. He was a smoker.

I have read that the day you give up smoking, the chances of cancer starts receding, till after 10 years, your chances are as good (or as bad) as someone who never smoked at all!!

I quit smoking in April 2004. 10 months, 1 week back. Not a puff since then. Does that save my life? Will I be able to give my daughter the support, companionship, security, concelling that I never got since the age of 15?

I don't really know! Frankly, I would consider myself ( and my wife and daughter) damn lucky if I manage to last that long. And Emphysema is something I never knew about!

So if you smoke, pal, quit. It is late. Every puff makes it more late. All your big talk of loving your dear ones is a BIG LIE if you smoke. There are so many ways of justifying it....I know it roto, I've said it all!! There are folks who can help. Contact them. It won't make you small. It makes you BIG when you finally quit! Believe me...

ACT NOW!!

8 Comments:

  • Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I'm glad that you quit smoking. It is some of the nastiest damage that you can do to your body.

    By Blogger Pete, at 3/3/05 20:11  

  • Good job on your non-smoking success. Not only are you saving your life, but the life of your daughter who now doesn't have to breath in the smoke.

    I am so thankful for the smoking ban in restaurants here in Columbus.

    By Blogger Trinity13, at 3/3/05 20:55  

  • Congratulations on quitting smoking!! I can imagine how hard it must have been and how wonderful you feel since you've stopped.
    Thank you again for stopping by my blog and helping me to decide what topic to tackle next. I'll be working on that very shortly. Hope to see you again in there.

    Carol

    By Blogger Weary Hag, at 4/3/05 04:14  

  • Thanks everybody for your kind words!

    By Blogger ShaanCho, at 6/3/05 12:34  

  • So, Santanu...
    what happened at age 15? You said you never got the *security* since the age of 15....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/3/05 00:17  

  • This is a brilliant effort on your part!Your resolution of sayin 'NO' to smoking is worth applauding.i hate smokin and hate those who smoke,they are selfish and no love for themselves.So,its good to note you not only love yourself but your family, who are LUCKY to have a sensible peson like you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/3/05 15:20  

  • Thats a simple one Faith..."Dad died"!

    And Anon, why not get into Blogging, so that I can read your views on other issues too!!

    By Blogger ShaanCho, at 11/3/05 14:13  

  • One of the nicest things I have read today! Great going!

    By Blogger anumita, at 16/3/05 17:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home