.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Santanu's Blog Page

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Teething Problems

Parenthood brings with it its own peculiar package of joys and worries.
A couple of weeks back, we noticed our six year old daughter getting two small teeth inside her front lower teeth, just at the tip of the tongue. I was reassured by some friends and colleagues (with elder children, and therefore, presumably greater experience and knowledge) that it was quite natural and would need to be corrected by braces at a later date. However, a few days back, the same was noticed by some ladies/parents at the school, who were alarmed and warned my wife that we were being very indifferent parents of a very pretty child. Dislocated teeth will alter the child’s appearance forever and could result in a deformed jaw line and ugly grin.

Needless to say, my wife did not sleep that night. And our daughter lost a milk/temporary tooth and swallowed it in her sleep. In the early morning confusions of office and school and breakfast and missing tooth, I couldn't stop laughing at the funny look on my kids face. It was after all a proud moment for a father.

The day was more eventful than the night. A tiny tot at school heard his mother advice my wife to pluck out a loose milk tooth. And the gallant young man performed the surgery on my kid in the middle of a class. A shocked teacher scolded a disgraced surgeon because of a silently sobbing damsel in distress with a tiny tooth in her tiny palm! HILARIOUS!

So the Dhaka trip that ended safely last night with a bit of work, a bit of shopping, a bit of sightseeing and a lot of visits to the dentist. That guy minted money! It will take me some time to forget the face of Dhaka's Delighted Dentist.

5 Comments:

  • Oh goodness! A swallowed tooth!

    That would have been hard going down.

    *shudder*

    But you seem pretty perked up by the whole experience, Santanu!

    >_<

    I would have calmly freaked out!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/5/05 15:58  

  • Santanu,

    I love hearing stories about your beautiful family. Odd as it may be, my dad has all my baby teeth saved. He's so weird but I love him anyway! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/5/05 20:31  

  • Go to a orthodontist that is good with kids. They will give you the answers your looking for.
    My kid has to get braces soon and my wife is a sales rep in the dental field, so she knows who is good and who is not.
    Good luck!

    By Blogger riskybiz, at 1/5/05 20:55  

  • I remember those poignant times. (Our two kids are in their teens now. ) Do you have the "tooth fairy" tradition in India?

    Thx for your kind commments on my blog and hope you return. My blog is a mix of information. I read your proflie and laughed hard at what you said about your wonderful wife finding what "Google can't!"
    Best wishes to you & your family :)

    Green-eyed Lady
    Http://Green-EyedLady.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Gel, at 3/5/05 00:28  

  • Sorry Kevin, the facts were not quite correct. Later investigations showed a possibility that she might have lost the tooth while brushing & it went down the basin. But the status in the morning rush was as I stated in the blog. >_<

    Cathy, TY. And your dad treasures you like a doll, else he wouldn't have done that. He really loves you!!

    Riskybiz, He was an orthodentist and I grudgingly admit that he was good. I address it in my next blog.

    GEL, we don't have the tooth fairy tradition in India. And anyway the kids these days are so inquisitive, you have to show them the fairy to prove that she gave the coins! :-)

    By Blogger ShaanCho, at 7/5/05 09:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home